Monday, January 16, 2012

Zumba = NO Success

I know you've heard about Zumba. EVERYONE and their mom is talking about how amazing Zumba is, and I was really excited to try it out. I know I'm way behind jumping on board, but I thought, better late than never.

I have like super anxiety about going to a gym and not knowing what I'm doing because I kind of like to be good at everything I do (shocker) so I checked out a beginner Zumba DVD from the library. I was excited about it, put it in the PS3 all pumped up and ready to go, and then the confusion set in.

Maybe it was just this DVD in particular, but I hated it. First, there are three people showing you the moves. The main person is a guy who speaks Spanish or Latin (?) and then a few seconds later, a lady translates it in an annoying voice. I guess it's a good idea to have him speak the language for it...wait, scratch that, it was a horrible idea for it to be in another language. It's not like he was trying to teach us his language because he was talking way fast. I think it was just in there to make it seem more authentic or something. (I feel like I'm sounding racist here and I don't know why.)

Anyways, the guy explained the first dance, and then the girl translated. (And I feel like maybe part of the time he spoke in English, too. Now I'm confusing myself and I can't watch it again because I already returned the DVD. Blah.) They showed the first dance in steps at a slow pace to get you started. Then they said, 'Now lets speed it up!' and holy heck, I could not keep up. I couldn't really do the dance slowly, let alone extremely fast. There were just so many moves to a single dance move! I mean, hands, hips, feet, neck...everything.

Maybe live classes would be better? I'm definitely not graceful when it comes to my feet, though, so it just might not be for me!

12 comments:

  1. Lol. I was gonna try zumba but i dont want to look like an idiot. Everyone says EVERYONE looks like an idiot, but i dont believe it. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I was totally know what you mean about everyone talking it up, and wanting to try it out for yourself. I was the same way a few months back, until I witnessed a Zumba class taking place at the local mall... and everyone looked ridiculous, flailing about and trying to keep up with the guy who was leading it. I think I'll just stick with the eliptical. lol. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no, that's just Zumba. I've taken it from I think four different instructors now, plus seen an additional three different people instruct it through the studio I teach dance at. It's a brand though, so they have to teach it a certain way and do certain moves and can't make up their own thing. Occasionally you'll find a teacher who breaks the rules and breaks it down more slowly, but for the most part everyone in the class flails except for one or two psychotic overachievers.
    If I can't handle the arms and legs at the same time I'll just do the legs... but mostly, I just don't go to Zumba that often. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh noo!  I ordered the expensive dvds over the website for the Exhilaration video series and there was no spanish going on for me.  I listened to dubbed over english and it was good.  I catch on to dance moves quite swiftly but I think you would have benefitted from a dvd that they have in that series that goes over every move.  It goes over it super slow and then slowly speeds it up, and they go over like a billion zillionity moves so I think they cover most of them and it takes an hour and a half to go through.  Then they start you out with easier to follow videos and work you up to the cray cray fast ones.  I think that would have been a better experience for you.  Sorry it sucked and made you frustrated, exercise should be a joyful release not a puzzle.  Later lady! :) Hearts, Janna lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh gosh, I know this feeling!  My Mum got Zumba for the Wii and it's just *crazy* hard.  It's all nice and slow and you think hey, I can do this.  Then, like you said, they're like 'Now let's do it for real!'  Way too fast, way too confusing...I'm completely not a dancer but I found myself even more unco-ordinated than ever!  I think I'll stick to just dancing round the kitchen like a crazy lady, much more fun (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked it for a couple of reasons: 1) I like my exercise to
    seem like fun, not work.  So dancing seems like way more fun than running
    or weight lifting.  2) I went to a class, and could laugh and interact with
    the other students/instructor.  And yeah, we all made mistakes, but it was
    fun to laugh with each other and to encourage each other.  3) I don't mind
    feeling like an idiot when I am learning something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see how anyone can't look like an idiot though! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya, the elliptical is good for me too haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya, I think if I just focused on the hands OR the legs I'd be good but putting them together is what's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to keep an eye out for those or make the library order them! I really wanted to give it my all, but it was just too much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a Wii to do some of those workout games!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe I'll try a class then, you have some valid points!

    ReplyDelete