Sunday, January 15, 2012

$13 Tattoos

My best friend Annie got her first tattoo on Friday!


















Birch Avenue Tattoo (the place I seem to frequent more and more these days) was following the old tradition of doing $13 tattoos on Friday the 13th. I was told about it last week but didn't really think about it again until I saw their Facebook reminder of it.

Annie got a musical rest symbol on her ring finger. This was her first tattoo and we were both nervous about it! She has an appointment scheduled for next month, again with Tanin, so this was a good way to break her in before a bigger one.

I also got one as well, and I'm so happy with how it turned out! It still amazes me how perfect looking a tattoo can be considering I can't even draw a straight line on paper, even if I have a stencil.

I've wanted to get the Deathly Hallows symbol from Harry Potter tattooed on me for a long time, but I have so many other planned ideas that it wasn't really on the top of my list. I realized now was a perfect time for it though because I wanted a small one! The problem was thinking of where to put it. I plan on getting my other half-sleeve done at some point as well as my upper legs, so I didn't want to get it either of those places because I didn't want to cover it up or figure it into any other tattoo. I also didn't want it on my hips/ribs/stomach because it'd be weird to have such a small thing randomly placed. So, the only place I could think of that I'd be fine with it and I'd be able to cover it easily was my elbow! I'll already be wearing sleeves long enough to cover it for nursing, so it worked out pretty well.
The picture makes it look off-centered on my elbow, but it's not!


I also have a tattoo appointment scheduled for next week to get the tops of my thighs done, and I'm ready for it now! Vince isn't completely excited about the whole thing because he likes my legs, but I'm still trying to sweet talk him into loving it. We'll have to see!

PS I got my big camera back after cracking the screen (a brand new one!) so I'll be able to take pictures of my completed half-sleeve soon!

A Mommas Desires and Pacifiers

19 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read the 5th, 6th and 7th Harry Potter books and then know what this means! =]
    What a great price for tattoos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! I'd have so went for a $13 tattoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love that you got a deathly hallows tattoo! And such an awesome way to take advantage of the $13 tattoo special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe I love both tattoos!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you when I saw the rest tattoo. Did you read Harry Potter? I've only read the first four but I have all the others and plan to read them soon. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read them all. I finished the final book again a few night ago. =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also wanted to say that we miss you at IndieInk. Come visit the challenge again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, I can't believe you haven't read them. Go. Now! =P

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's like 3 Friday the 13ths this year...can't wait to get more little things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm about to read the last few again too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. About 13 hours? A long time split up between 4 sessions. And I think I'm going to do the challenge again starting this week. I've been pondering it and I have some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. say what? $13 tattoos? I need in on that business! And your thighs done?? Girl you are brave! You will definitely have to post that when it's done so we can all see. Love your tattoo also btw! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Friday the 13th most shops will participate in the old tradition!

      And I'm not too afraid of the thighs, I've got a half sleeve and my chest done and I don't know if anything is worse than the inner arm/armpit area!

      Delete
  13. I saw that $13 tattoos! it's almost like a tattoo artist cult for Friday the 13th! next year i think I will have to definitely plan for it! there has to be some limitations right?! I think your tattoo location is very unique! i can honestly say I have never seen one there before!

    Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most tattoo shops do it every Friday the 13th, and I think there's another one in like 3 or 4 months? May, maybe? Most of the time it just has to be about the size of a quarter, so pretty small!

      Delete
  14. Not to go through every post and comment or anything...haha

    I have quite a few friends in nursing who have knuckle tattoos, full sleeves, etc. Maybe it's different where you work but here they don't care AT ALL about tattoos. I'm actually considering going into a medical-ish field, not nursing but maybe the sterilizer person in the hospital or something for this reason. Oh, and the money. hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do that on peoples blogs too, no worries haha

      The thing I'm worried about is even getting into the nursing program with them. They only accept 20 students out of hundreds and you have all sorts of interviews, so I'd hate to get booted because of that! But I agree, at the hospital here in town it didn't seem to matter about tattoos, I saw some people with half sleeves and chest pieces they didn't cover up. I'd also want to cover tattoos just because my patient might not like it and I wouldn't want them not trusting me! Once I have an established career I might go for the full sleeve plunge though!

      Delete