Sunday, January 13, 2013

Healthy Inklings #2




Pin It
This series will consist of healthy tips, recipes, and random things I've learned along my paleo journey.  To learn more about the paleo lifestyle, click here. This is not necessarily paleo specific, just overall health.  To read previous Healthy Inklings posts, click here

I cannot tell you how many times I've said, 'We're never going out to eat again. Every food I buy will be healthy. NO MORE processed food!' as I throw away all the bad food from my cupboards. I'd maybe last two days, three at the most, before I caved in to the cravings of a popsicle or the mexican food restaurant down the road. My body (but more likely just my mind) could not handle such a sudden change. To have everything I loved food-wise ripped away from me in one fell swoop? Made me miserable.

So for the Healthy Inklings Tip #2:
Choose one meal to focus your healthy efforts on. Start with the easiest thing, such as breakfast or snacks. Just worry about that one meal until you have it down and are comfortable with it, then add another meal and another until you are eating the healthy foods you want throughout the day. When I started transitioning to paleo, I didn't do it all at once and I believe that is why it's such a success for me now and why I can be 99% paleo and happy.

Here are some simple healthy recipes for breakfast and snacks that I've tried:
Avocado-Lime Deviled Eggs (personally, I leave out the lime)
Regular Hard Boiled Eggs
Breakfast Smoothie - So. Many. Options.
Mini Crustless Quiches
Paleo Banana Muffins (I eat these every day I go to work!)
Sauerkraut and Over-Easy Eggs
Fruit & Coconut Milk
Almonds
Sautéed Spinach and Onion in Coconut Oil
Guacamole with Carrots, Cucumber, and Tomatoes, or just plain!

What meal will you start with?

I'm not a doctor (yet!) so do not take any advice I give as medical advice. If you have anything you want to hear about, let me know in the comments or email me at iffyinklings@gmail.com.

6 comments:

  1. Yay, love these healthy inklings! Such a good point, it's so much harder to get rid of everything at once than to slowly adapt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and have you tried any variations of the banana muffins? I kind of want to try making them with blueberries but I figured I'd see if you've tried them yet first.

      Delete
    2. The only variations I've done was added Enjoy Life chocolate chips! Blueberries sound like they could be good, but I've never had a banana-blueberry anything before! If you try it, let me know how it is!

      Delete
    3. I'm not a huge fan of blueberries but I know they're good for me so I like putting them in muffins and smoothies. I've had banana-blueberry smoothies before and actually liked them a lot more than I thought I would! I think I am going to try making these later in the week, once I go pick up some baking powder!

      Delete
    4. I made them and I think they're so-so. I did half the batch sans blueberries and I definitely prefer them without... but I DID add walnuts into mine and I want to add raisins to another batch. I'm also going to try the pumpkin substitute listed at the bottom!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to try those mini quiches for awhile now, I just keep blowing off going to the grocery store and don't have anything to put in them -.- This is a good tip though, I'll have to keep it in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete