Sunday, February 27, 2011

Salutary Sunday

{Like the background color? It's fabric I bought while thrifting yesterday! I can't wait to use it.}

It's Sunday. Another end to yet another lovely week.

This week I made a lot of blueberry banana smoothies.
Want to learn how?

Add these ingredients into a blender and blend!
Simple as that.


I use this blender, and I love it for so many reasons. 

{Ignore my dirty dishes, please.}

{1} It's a single serving, just perfect for me.
{2} There is only 1 button to push.
{3} It's super small and compact, making it easy to rinse and wash.
{4} I got it on sale from Target for $14, and I've used it weekly for over a year without a single problem. I constantly use it for hard things, like ice and other frozen stuff.

Clearly, I recommend it and would buy another one in an instant if this one broke on me. I usually eat 4 or 5 smoothies a week, so I would be sad if I didn't have it!

I love making smoothies with frozen fruit because it's a lot less sweet than using ice cream. I guess that would be a milkshake, though? When I'm at the store and see a really good deal on fruit, like strawberries, blueberries, or bananas, I'll buy a BUNCH of it and then freeze it for smoothies. Blueberries were on sale for a $1 a carton, so I bought 6 of them, meaning I'll have blueberry smoothies for a while. I would have bought a lot more, but the limit was 6!


This week I also made more earrings! I've been promising to make gauges for a teen at my work and I finally got around to doing them.


Both green ones are for her, and they are size 0 gauges. I made the purple ones for me, and those are size 2. The swirly green ones are 2 3/4 inches long, the white and green ones are 2 inches long, and the purple ones are 2 1/4 inches long. 

It's been fun to mess around with the polymer clay. I've definitely learned quite a bit since I first started, and I can tell that I'm getting better. 

Here's an example:


Obviously, the first try totally sucks. It's not smooth, it's not rolled out to be the same size, and parts of it are shiny. I was reading a few tips on how to make the earrings and it recommended using cornstarch to keep finger prints off and to keep it from sticking. It didn't say anything about NOT using it on dark colors, though, and it made the black earring a little ashy colored. 

I also used a liquid polymer clay to make sure the white circle stuck to the black earring, and I thought it would dry clear. Well, it dried clear, but it also dried super shiny. So now I now not the put it anywhere except for exactly where I need it. I also know that I can 'paint' it over the whole earring to make it shiny!

Did you guys do anything productive this week?

6 comments:

  1. mmmmmm i want a smoothie! =D
    those earrings are so awesome...i want to gauge mine, but ill just stick to my fake ones from etsy ;] haha. you could definitely make lots of money on those! they look pro!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably just keep making them because there fun to make and then when i have a bunch, sell the lot!

    I think your were way cute =] I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fake gauges rock! I'd buy those if you made them Stef. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to play around with them and make a couple of fake ones to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made strawberry banana smoothies a few nights ago and they were so yum! I think you've inspired me to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that sounds so good! Strawberries have been horrible here so I haven't had them in a while!

    ReplyDelete