I saw Sara do this little meme a little while ago, and I wanted to post a blog today, yet didn't want to put too much work into, so here we are.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? That's a tough one. I feel like during the holidays I choose Egg Nog just because that's the only time i can have it. BUT, if Egg Nog was available year round I probably wouldn't ever choose to drink it because it's really not that good. I always crave it throughout the year and make it so delicious in my mind but when I get to drink it? All I really get is a stomachache.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? As a kid they were all wrapped. Now I'm lucky even we even make it to Christmas before we give each other out gifts! Also, we don't have room for a tree...
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? On the house, colored, on the tree, white.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, I steal kisses when I want them!
5. When do you put your decorations up? As an adult, I haven't put up any decorations until this year. Vince and I picked up a few things at the dollar store today though, and we now have a cute santa face for the front door, a snowy doormat for the front door and some red lights.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie with cool whip. I love cool whip.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? As weird as it is, it was reading scriptures in my grandparents bed! They had a big bed and me and my 2 brothers and sisters and 7 aunts and uncles and parents and cousins would always have to lay in/around the bed and read the Book of Mormon before we were allowed to open presents. While I definitely won't be reading my kids the BoM it would be nice to keep with that tradition of reading in bed but read something else!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was staying the night at my grandparents and my mom had all of our presents in a back room where she was wrapping them. I accidentally walked in and saw this doll that I REALLY wanted. I quickly closed the door and went back to bed but in the morning I saw that it said it was from Santa. Then I said that Santa didn't give me this, my mom did! It was over from then on for everyone...
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yep! We have ALWAYS had to go Christmas Caroling before we could open one though. That included the whole family (whoever was in twon at the moment) to load up in vans and go caroling to many many houses, between 5 and 10. We would even have chimes and we'd make the families cry every year.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Our house is too small for one! Our first year here we bought a 3 foot fake one, but we had no where to store in for the rest of the year and it truly took up too much space. One of us was always knocking it over so we sold it at a yard sale. This year, we're going to decorate some of the art we had hanging up! We have a huge yarn tree thing in our living room so we bought little decorations to pin onto it. I can't wait for us to do it, and I'll be sure to post pictures!
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I can't answer that, I change my answer minute to minute!
12. Can you ice skate? I used to go every Friday in elementary school! I haven't gone in years but I'm sure I can still do it!
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My Walkman and a 98 Degrees CD. Seriously. My sister and I both got Walkmans one year and she got a Backstreet Boys CD and for weeks after our dad yelled at us to turn our headphones down because he could hear them. That was ALL we did: listen to music! (Crappy music at that...ha!)
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Being with family and friends!
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pumpkin or Pecan Pie.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? It seems like my family has SO many traditions, it's hard to pick a favorite! One tradition that I'm definitely sticking to for my family of Vince and I is making my grandmas potato soup and clam chowder. I don't think I've ever eaten anything else for Christmas and even though my grandparents are in Peru for 2 years, I got the recipe and will make it!
17. What tops your tree? Haven't decided on that yet...
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Neither! Both are too stressful, I'd rather just hang around and eat lots of food.
19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Yum! I like the fruity ones too!
20. Favorite Christmas show? I don't know of any Christmas shows, so none?
21. Saddest Christmas Song? I don't know, most of the Christmas songs I know are pretty cheerful!
22. What is your favorite Christmas song? I posted about it last year, and it's definitely my favorite! I still don't remember the name of it though...I'll have to ask my grandma. I'm guessing that's going to be the first song my niece knows because I sing it to her all the time even when it's not Christmas! Here's the lyrics again:
Long ago one cold cold night,
bringing gifts of wonderous sights,
three kings seek a star above to honor the gift of love.
Now every winter when the wind blows
and the chill in the air warns of snow,
gifts are exchanged in remembrance of that special gift of love.
Ring the bells, ring the bells,
Christmas is coming,
Sound of hope, sound of joy,
for this gift of love.