Saturday, July 30, 2011

Food Love: Sweet Mango Sauce with No Added Sugar


Every time my stepmom Pam takes a trip down to Phoenix to visit someone, she stops at Trader Joe's. We had a running list on the counter for what we need from there and I would always put down Mango Sauce. When she would bring it home I would always get in trouble because I would eat like half the large jar in one sitting! 

It's since been discontinued, but I still crave it all the time, so a couple years ago I decided to create my own. I have 2 or 3 variations of the recipe, so I'll give you the base of the recipe, and then tell you what I add at the end to change it.

Sweet Mango Sauce
Serving Size: 4          Prep time: 5 minutes         Cook time: 0 minutes

Ingredients:
1 very ripe mango,  de-skinned with the 'meat' cut off the seed
1/8-1/4 cup juice (It can be apple, orange, lemon, peach-anything you have around. I used peach juice from some peaches I canned last year.)

Step 1: Put 3/4 of the mango 'meat' in the blender with 1/8 cup juice. Puree. Add more juice if it is not pureeing. 


Step 2: Pour the puree into the container you want it in, and add the rest of the mango that is diced up into puree. Eat plain, or top over ice cream.


So this is where some things can change. I LOVE just the plain puree, but I also like a couple other flavors in. One thing I add is 1/8 tsp cinnamon, or 1/8 tsp pumpkin spice!


I like to split the puree up into thirds, and add cinnamon to one, pumpkin spice to another, and just leave one plain. Then I store them in little mason jars and they last for about a week.


Tip: When you are cutting mango, it's super easy to cut it off into small manageable chunks. After cutting off the skin, cut the mango into a checkerboard. 


Then, slide your knife along the inside seed and it will fall right off looking perfect!


Let me know if you try this!

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had mango sauce before. I'd definitely try it with pumpkin spice, sounds amazing! I always love mango in my smoothies though so I think I'll pick some up next time they're on sale and give it a try. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have to try it, it's delish! And as strange as it is, mango is the ONLY thing I don't like in my smoothies! I love it plain but I don't like it in stuff for some reaso. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting indeed! I like it in tropical kind of mixes... like mango strawberry banana pineapple papaya. Too bad it's like a $20 smoothie if I buy all of those things at once ha ha. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need a houseplant: Growing mangos from seed is actually quite easy. Eat a nice mango, remove as much flesh from the seed as possible and then let it dry for a day or two. Very carefully remove the hairy covering. Plant on it's edge with the hump side up with 1/4 of the seed exposed. Keep damp and as close to 80ºF as possible for better germination. Then it should germinate within a week. ♥U

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get into mangos -- they have an odd texture to me. I'm a pineapple girl! Oddly, people pair those together so often but I like the pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it gets anywhere near 80 degrees in my house, but I definitely want to try that next time I eat a mango!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm I love pineapple too! It needs to be really ripe and sweet though or I can only eat like one piece before my mouth starts to hurt!

    ReplyDelete