Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Food Love - New Feature!

So, it's almost the end of the week, and I've been eating some yummy food! 
Here are some of the foods Vince and I ate for our healthy eating challenge:

{Brown Cow Cream Top Vanilla Yogurt and Bakery on Main Triple Berry Granola}




Delicious, right? Maybe you want the recipes?

Well, what I've decided to do is, instead of Saturday Love with different pictures and links, I'll do a Saturday Food Love, and give you recipes! I make 98% of the food I eat for lunch and dinner, which means I make a LOT of food. I never have a great way to share it, so I'm going to do it here! 

I have severely limited my internet use because I'm missing out too much on my real life, which means I'm not finding as many fun links and pictures as I used to. I also feel like it's a more useful thing to share wonderful and healthy gluten free, mostly dairy free, and frequently vegetarian recipes instead of 'time wasters'! Most of the recipes will be for 4 servings, so they will be perfect for small families or for people/couples who want leftovers, like me. 

If you want a bunch of great links to 'waste time' with, check out the blog Yum & Yuk, which is one of my new favorite blogs. I love the way she has her blog set up and I wouldn't consider her links a waste of time because they are full of great and thought-provoking info. 
You can also check out this link on Fridays, and this link on Sundays!

So, my recipe for this week is :


I am a HUGE lover of brats with sauerkraut. Growing up my dad and stepmom had tons of BBQs which meant tons of brats cooked in beer and grilled. While I can't boil my bratwurst in beer anymore, I sure can eat it. I have yet to find a gluten free bun, so now I just incorporate brats into various meals. This is a new one that Vince and I made and will be added to our monthly rotation! 

Spinach And Bratwurst with Rice & Beans
4 Servings          Prep Time: 5 minutes      
Cook Time: 30 minutes {slow cook rice}, 15 minutes {instant rice}

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked brown or wild rice
4 cups water
1 Tbls olive oil
4 bratwurst, cut up in quarter sized rounds {I use Johnsonville Brats}
1 whole onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
3 cups spinach
1 cup sauerkraut
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can black beans
sprinkles of mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper as desired

{1} Cook rice according to directions on the packaging.

{2} In a large pan, heat olive oil and cut up bratwurst over medium-high heat. Cook until the bratwurst is slightly browned. 

{3} Add the slices of onion and cook until softened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

{4} Add 1 cup of spinach and put a lid on the pan. Allow the spinach to wilt, while occasionally stirring. Should take 1-2 minutes. Continue adding spinach until it is all added. If the pan is large enough, you can add the spinach all at once.

{5} Add sauerkraut and garlic and cook until sauerkraut is hot, about 4 minutes.

{6} Seve over brown or wild rice alongside the heated black beans.

I look forward to giving you guys a new recipe next week! It will be the garlic and spinach quinoa.
I hope you enjoy this new 'feature'. Let me know if you make anything or if you want me to make something specific to blog about!

3 comments:

  1.  Good job on your healthy eating goals and thanks for the recipe! I've made this a few times but not quite like this so I'm excited to try something new. I've never put black beans with it.
    Hope you've had a good week! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY- gluten free recipes from Steff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Black beans make everything better! 

    And I have had a good week, I hope your is as well!!

    ReplyDelete