Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm going to be a nurse!

When it comes to watching TV as a youngin' {like 6 years old}, I distinctively remember my family {aunts, uncles, siblings...} gathering around the tube to watch ER. It was so dramatic and there were many times when my family members cried. 

In the mornings when I woke up, ER would be on at 7am and again at 8am and I would be glued to the TV before I left for school at 8:20. The older I got, the more 'action' I wanted to see. Back in the day TV wasn't very graphic, so you wouldn't get to see the gruesome surgery or the blood squirting everywhere, and I wanted to see that! 

This led me to the Discovery Health channel, which I quickly became addicted to. I would always pick that channel to watch when it was my turn. There were many times when my grandma would tell me to change the channel because she thought it was too 'adult' for me, but I would just turn the volume down so she wouldn't know. 

Now that I am older, I'm still grossly addicted to these shows. My favorite channel is was the Discovery Heath Channel and I cannot tell you how much I HATE Oprah for taking it over. TLC has some great shows, but is not the same as DHC!

I've considered going into the medical field, but I never like my own blood or getting blood drawn, so it was just put out of my mind. 

In 7th grade, I signed up to be an aide in the Lifeskills classroom, which is a classroom for students with special needs. I immediately decided to be a Lifeskills teacher. As I moved into high school, I decided I wanted a little more than that, so I decided to be a speech pathologist. Better pay, better hours, everything I liked. The more I talk to teachers and people that are in that profession, the more I don't want to have that job. Teachers get paid nothing, and I don't think I would be satisfied enough being a speech pathologist, I don't know why though.

I talked to my grandparents, who are both psychologists, about possibly doing psychology because it's something I am really interested in. Even after learning about all the schooling I would have to do, I was pretty excited about doing it.

I was pretty excited, until my sister had her baby. After seeing how AWESOME her nurses were and how much they helped her, it was like a light bulb went on. I wanted to be able to help someone when they are at their worst and hopefully lighten their day up. 

I want to be able to listen to a patient, truly listen, and hopefully be able to help them. I like the fast pace that a lot of the jobs entail and I think I would be great at it. I'm organized, good at delegating, listening...so many things you need to be a great nurse.

I've been considering becoming an oncology nurse or a NICU nurse, both very hard to do mentally!

Now that I'm confident in my career choice, I'm kicking myself for not signing up for any classes this semester. I'm just going to focus on saving money, creating things, and then I will worry about school next semester. I'm planning on getting financial aid so I can be full time and I'm hoping to be able to cut my hours down at work to 32 hours a week so I can have 3 days off.  I'm really excited about the new path my decisions will take me!

5 comments:

  1. I think that would be more than a perfect job for you Steph, you are so sweet and you are such a great person but than again you dont take anybodys crap lol im happy for you and good luck. I will always love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brit! I definitely won't take anyones crap. =] I will always love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that you discovered your perfect career! I have yet to do that, but my job makes the $$ so until I pop out a baby I think I'm just going to stick to it and hope that I can be a SAHM after that... making clothes and selling them on etsy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I'm excited too. I get paid a lot at my current job as well, but it's so unsatisfying! {I don't know why it's not, I have an easy job at a public library...} I plan on being a SAHM as well, but I think it'll be nice to have a backup. I mean, I may want to work part time as a mom!

    I've been wanting to open a business for a while and was pretty set on it, but now that I want to be a nurse, it's totally changed. It's weird and hard to explain.

    It sounds like you know what you want though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that would be more than a perfect job for you Steph, you are so sweet and you are such a great person but than again you dont take anybodys crap lol im happy for you and good luck. I will always love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete