Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Groin Pain.

For the past three days, I've had a really bad pain in my groin. It's like 2 inches below my hip bone, but not totally on my leg. It's progressively gotten worse, but I had no idea where it came from. It came on suddenly while sitting on the couch, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a strained muscle. The only thing that's changed in the past few weeks is that I started taking the birth control NuvaRing. So I googled NuvaRing + groin pain and it came up as a serious symptom and a possible blood clot.

I totally freaked out and called my dad who used to be an EMT/Paramedic. He said to call the 24/7 nurse on call through my insurance company. After asking me 150 questions, and saying stupid thing like, "Do you think symptoms from Celiac Disease could be causing this pain?" Ummm...she's the nurse and she didn't even KNOW what celiac disease was. I laughed at her and told her that no, I'm pretty damn sure I'm not having GROIN PAIN, swelling, and discoloration from eating gluten. It was scary how much she was relying on the computer to tell me what may or may not be wrong with me. I wanted to yell at her to use her brain! She went and got her nursing degree for a reason!

She ended up telling me that it could very well be a blood clot and since there was nothing that I could think of to cause this, to go to the ER and be seen within the hour. So I picked up Vince from work and we were off.

We sat there for about 20 minutes with my dad, and then I got called back. He had to finish homework, so it was just Vince and I. I got undressed and put out those wonderful gowns that show off my fine ass, and was FREEZING. I asked Vince to put my sweater over my legs, which he did. A nurse passing by saw this and asked if I wanted a blanket but I told her that I was fine, my sweater was warm enough. She looked at Vince in a questioning way, and he said, "It's ok, I have my flashlight," and pulled it out of his pocket. She looked at him and smiled and left. I burst out laughing because clearly he was nervous if he just told the nurse he had a flashlight to keep me warm. It did make me laugh on and off for like 5 minutes, so I liked it.

A nurse and a doctor came in to look and me and the doctor was almost creepy. He kept winking constantly at Vince and Vince HATES winkers. It drives him crazy. They soon left, because they wanted to consult with another doctor because they had no idea what was wrong. The next doctor came in and felt around, but he couldn't figure it out either. They knew it was not a blood clot, but they also didn't think it was a hernia or a lymphnode because they didn't feel a knot. So in came the surgeon.

Vince liked this guy because he was professional and thorough. I thought he was a little strange. He washed his hands when he first came in, so he didn't use gloves when touching my groin area. {Sorry, I love saying groin.} In the middle of stretching my leg behind me {while I was naked} his phone rang and he asked if he could answer it because he had paged a doctor earlier. So he answered the phone WITH THE HAND HE WAS JUST TOUCHING MY GROIN WITH. I totally laughed and though, "Dude, my groin is all over you phone now, and it's touching your face. What. An. Idiot." He finished up a phone call, which was talking about one patient with gallbladder disease and another that is 31 and pregnant and just had a CT done, which means that the chance of there being a problem with the fetus raises to 1 in 4o. I didn't know that, but now I know to NEVER get a CT done when I'm pregnant!

When he was finished with the phone call, he had me stand up and move my leg around to see if it was a muscular problem. He was moving it in some funky positions, but none of them hurt like they were supposed to. He too said that he had no idea what was wrong with me since it wasn't muscular. Freaking awesome.

So they sent me home with some instructions on how to try to ease the pain, none of which worked. The last doctor, a surgeon, wanted me to come see him at his office today so he could see if he could figure out what was wrong with me. I told my dad what all the doctors said and he told me not to see the surgeon, because that specific one was and idiot {like I said!} and he's seen him do a bunch of stupid things and has heard stories from other people. I'm definitely glad my dad knows people that work at the hospital!

So I scheduled an appointment with my regular doctor and we're going to try and figure things out. Hopefully this goes away soon because I can barely even walk and I have to move in two weeks. Aggh!

At least I'm going to get a free back rub out of it from Vince!

And I get to stay home from work and listen to an amazing song called Wax and Wire by Loch Lomond on repeat all day. {It's the first song in this video. I tried to find the song on YouTube but they're all live! You can also find the song on iTunes, and for only $.99, this too could be yours.}
The video is also totally badass in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment