Thursday, October 14, 2010

Parmesan Veggie Pasta and Chocolate Orange-Almond Biscotti!

There are MANY many many nights where I just want to go out to eat. I've been trying really hard to stick to my 2 week meal plan, though, and it's been pretty easy to not go out. I just have to look at my meal list, pick something that sounds good, and I make it. Simple as that.

But tonight as I looked at the meal plan I didn't want ANYTHING on it! I just laid on the couch for like an hour talking to Vince about what we wanted; he really wanted Indian food, but I didn't want to spend $50 to go out. So I suggested Mexican food. But I still didn't want to spend that kind of money. So I recommended tomato soup with grilled cheese at home.
We still didn't want that. As you can see, we were in a slight dilemma.

Then I decided I wanted sweet deviled eggs. When my bestest friend Veronica was over the other night, she suggested we put honey in the deviled egg mixture, because it would be like a honey mustard sauce in it. So we tried it and I LOVED it. As a starter, we made that.
As we were talking/making eggs, we decided we wanted a cajun stir fry. I, however, didn't want to defrost the hot links and I didn't feel like rice, just noodles. But without marinara sauce. So we settled on veggies with pasta and parmesan cheese and we are both SO happy with our decision. I know, I make it sound like we were choosing whether or not to buy a house or something. Dinner is very important to both of us though!
Here's the 'recipe' aka the stuff I threw in a pan:

Parmesan Veggie Pasta
1 Tbls olive oil
4-5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 medium yellow squash (half a cup?)
1/2 green zucchini (half a cup?)
1 cup broccoli (I used frozen)
1/2 large red bell pepper
some salt and peppa to taste
Saute all the veggies in olive oil on medium for 6-7 minutes, or until soft.
Throw over some cooked pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!


Since going gluten free, I love cooking and baking. Growing up I was always helping my grandma in the kitchen and asking my dad questions about what he was doing. I never really cooked that much when I was an early teen, though, because I didn't have too. I could just go to Jack in the Box or something equally as delicious (not) and buy something for cheap. Because I have to cook (or spend an outrageous amount of money on precooked GF foods) I realized how much I love it!

It's so fun and frustrating to experiment with different flours and veggies and fruits and everything else you can think of. I sit at work and am super eager to come home so that I can eat amazing food or give it away to people. because of this, I am HAPPY to be gluten free. I'm happy to be mostly sugar free as well because I feel great and once again, get to experiment with new baking ingredients to make yummy desserts. Like this biscotti:
Only 2 grams of sugar per bar! Aka-I can eat 14 bars instead of a Snickers. Yee-haw! Not that I would hehe it's just good to have a healthy alternative. I highly recommend making these Orange Almond Biscotti Bars from over at Gluten Free Gobsmacked and dipping them in dark chocolate(so there isn't as much sugar). She has an amazing blog, though I frequently have to modify her recipes for the ingredients I have in my house!

**Random Picture**
Roxi always sleeps in such uncomfortable positions. In reality, she was much more slanted and I was surprised all the blood wasn't rushing to her head!

No comments:

Post a Comment