Monday, May 16, 2016

6th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge

I hand washed my cloth diapers for the first 6 months because I didn't have a washer/dryer so you would think I've had enough hand washing experience for a lifetime, but apparently I haven't! So I am taking the flats and hand washing challenge again this year. That means I'll be using only flats, and hand washing all my diapers. Ok, so maybe the title is pretty self explanatory.

Cloth diapering is SO important to me, mostly because I get to avoid the crap in disposables, but also because it's economical and better for the environment. There is always the question of whether the water to wash them does more environmental damage, but have you ever looked into what it takes to make a sposie, then transport it, then travel to the store to buy it, then have it sit in a landfill forever? Clearly, I think there is a winner.

Another reason for doing this is knowing I can truly do what I want to do. I felt crazy when I first decided to cloth diapers, in full-time nursing school, while working, without a washer and dryer. Why would anyone choose to do that?! For me it was really important to sacrifice my time and energy now if it meant exposing Devin to less chemicals. It was the start to many sacrifices I'll make for her, and honestly one of the easiest things now.

Lastly, it's nice to know that in an emergency, I have the skills to do what I need to do! I know I won't need to go to the store in a snowstorm, I can hole up in our house if the world is going to shit, and I can have a clean baby even if we lose our jobs.

Tomorrow I will break down the cost of my diapers and explain why I decided to add the extra challenge of keeping my stash at $150!

No comments:

Post a Comment