Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tax Knowledge

I'm thankful that I have a dad that taught me so many amazing things, such as filing my taxes!
I got my first job when I was 14 or 15 (I can't remember now) at Jack in the Box. I didn't make too much money, but I did make enough to have to file taxes. My dad sat me down and walked me through all the steps showing me how to do it. When I finishing filling out the state tax forms, it ended up that I owed money. Even though I begged him (and may have cried!) he told me that if I chose to work in this country, I would have to pay taxes, that's just how it was.

I'm so thankful that he's instilled this important fact in me. Yes, even though I have to pay state taxes every year, (except this year for some reason) I know that it's my responsibility to take care of that. Some people may not like giving the government money, and I totally agree, I'd prefer it in my pocket, but as a citizen it's my responsibility to just do it! The majority of my friends don't file their taxes, or only do if they are going to get money, and I'm so happy that I'm not like that.

It's also a confidence boost to know that now? I don't need anyones help with things like this. I can do it on my own and know that I did a great job because I was taught well.

So this year, to my friends out there: file your darn taxes! You can do it free, online, from H&R Block, or click here for some other options. It got me $400 more than I thought I was going to get! State taxes can't be filed for free through them, but you can fill out your own forms and then input the information into H&R Block and they will give you their refund estimate. As long as yours is the same as theirs, you're good to go and can just mail in your forms! (You may even be able to e-file online for state...I think there is an income limit and I passed it) Or you can pay the $20. Just do it!

If you need BASIC help, let me know. I helped a friend out last year who thought she was going to get $0 and ended up getting $800!

Tip: If you just need the basic form, like if you're not paying for your own schooling, not putting money in a retirement/IRA account, etc, then you can just fill out the 1040EZ for federal taxes and the 140EZ for Arizona state taxes. It's a single page, and the only information you need is right on your W-2s! As long as you just read the directions, you can be done in 10 minutes.

As always, linking up with Brown Eyed Bell(e)!

7 comments:

  1. so thankful we don't have state taxes to file in Florida! Thanks for linking up! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you're so lucky! It'd save me hundreds!

      Delete
  2. You probably got a tax break since you were married in 2011. They give tax breaks for all kinds of things like getting married, having children, job searching expenses, etc. This is why Dave and I want to try to get pregnant soon. It would be a great 2012 tax break! :D

    We ended up owing money to the state of Utah, where we had to file for the first half of the year, even though Nevada doesn't require state taxes. It was kind of a bummer. But we used H&R Block to do our federal taxes, and then we used them to compare to the filing we did ourselves on the state's tax website. So we also did that for free. It was so easy! I am going to do that from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, we definitely got a break from being married. You pay less taxes when you're married, so for the first 9 months of the year we were paying higher taxes. I hope you have a baby this year, that would be so exciting!!!!

      That's sweet that you live in a state now that doesn't have state taxes! Too bad you had to pay to Utah though. I definitely liked using H&R Block for state and comparing it to what I had, to be sure I got everything right!

      Delete
  3. Eek, tax evasion is no joke! That'll haunt you forever! I hope your friends know what they're getting themselves into!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I've been able to convince the ones who didn't want to file, to file. None of them had to owe money because they didn't even make enough money. I try to tell them they need to do it no matter what, because that would suck if the got an audit! They seem to believe that poor people don't get audited, which isn't true! It's supposed to be random!

      Delete
    2. Mmm, it's supposed to be random, but you're more likely to be audited if you file incorrectly than if you don't file at all. At least that is the impression that I got.

      Delete