Friday, January 21, 2011

Homemade Sushi

Last weekend Vince and I had some {awesome} friends over and we made sushi!


Vince and I have made sushi many times before, but that nights was THE BEST ever. We fried some veggies like the bell pepper and asparagus and some catfish. The catfish ended up being way to big to put inside the roll, but the other veggies worked fine. We had salmon to put inside the rolls, anyways.

We of course cut WAY too many veggies, but it was perfect because we could still cook them in a stir fry, plus they were already cut! As for the wasabi, we had a perfect amount because we mixed it ourself. We bought a little container of wasabi powder from a natural foods store and it tastes just the same as restaurants.


The ingredients in my rolls were homemade sushi rice, cream cheese, jalepeno, salmon, green onion, avocado, and battered asparagus. The asparagus made it phenominal and gave it a great crunch! We bought a package of 10 seaweed wraps, and that ended up being a perfect amount, even though we thought we would need more.


Here's a tip for the cream cheese: Leave it on the counter for a half hour and then using a spoon, spread a 1/4 inch think layer on a plate. Put the plate into the freezer for about 15 or 20 minutes and then take it out. Cut the cream cheese into long strips so you can easily put it into the roll.

It's always so fun to make sushi and it's so much more satisfying. When Vince and I go out, we eat two or three rolls each in a half hour and the total comes out to over $50! The total for the night for all four of use totaled maybe $25 and we got to spent a few hours with really great people. It's also fun to mess around with friends and try each others creations. ♥


So here's a random thing: I never seem to take pictures of my friends! I hangout with so may people and I LOVE taking pictures of everything, but I never seem to get pictures of them. I think I'm afraid that they will get mad or annoyed, so I just don't do it. I need to change that though! I always tell my friend Veronica we need to take pictures when we hangout, but then I don't. I'm so silly. Or weird, whichever way you look at it. =]

6 comments:

  1. Oh my GOSH. I need you to come here right now and teach me how to make sushi. I'm serious. I am so jealous. I feel like mine would just.. not.. look like this. Haha. Or taste right. I'd want to do shrimp though.. I've never tried salmon. But asparagus? That sounds heavenly. Avocado and asparagus- my two favorite things- in one of my favorite foods! MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to make! The first few times I made sushi, though, the rolls were gigantic and weren't as tightly rolled. Just takes practice. =]

    I've never thought of putting shrimp it it...der. That sounds amazing, I'll have to try that next time! And avocado and asparagus are definitely in my top 5 faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm! you should open a sushi shop! that looks pro! yumm i want some now. lol. i read all your posts but i've been lazy replying back so sorry i havent written anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I wish I could just make sushi all day! Well, maybe just eat it all day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I wish I could just make sushi all day! Well, maybe just eat it all day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so easy to make! The first few times I made sushi, though, the rolls were gigantic and weren't as tightly rolled. Just takes practice. =]

    I've never thought of putting shrimp it it...der. That sounds amazing, I'll have to try that next time! And avocado and asparagus are definitely in my top 5 faves!

    ReplyDelete